Wednesday, September 25, 2013

All in a day's work


Rick: "I did all this!"
I have been told by many people that the initial stages of building moves very quickly.  I still had no idea how much could change in just one day.

Starting at 7:30 this morning, Rick, Ted and the framing crew of 4 men took a 750 pound steel beam (deceptively small looking in my mind considering how much it weighed) from a trailer and lifted it into place on the second floor.  Since my brawn was not needed I took pictures instead and worried for them all.  They got it into place with no injuries, but I imagine they will all wake up tomorrow feeling their efforts from today.





This is the final place for the beam.  Never to be seen again, buried in the floor.
Here it is in the ceiling of the dining room.
After the beam was in place, the framing crew quickly finished laying the floor joists and subfloor for the second floor.  They spent the rest of their day finishing the exterior walls on that floor.

While they worked on the house, a different group arrived to put in the septic system.  A small excavator and skid steer dug the hole for the peat system and then filled it in with the sand that a couple of dump trucks dropped off.  Then, a large flatbed truck arrived with a crane to place the 2 tanks in the ground.  After that, more dump trucks arrived delivering the gravel that goes on top of the sand bed that they had dug.  All of that to say, there was a LOT going on today!





Watching from the 'living room window'


Gravel bed for the septic


No comments:

Post a Comment